10 Day Overland Sumatra Tour North and West Sumatra
Tour code SUMTJ 10
- Tri Jaya Tour & Travel is specialized in tours all over Sumatra and in Cultural and Historical Tours. We bring you to the most beautiful places on the island such as Lake Toba, impressive West Sumatra, tropical islands along the coast, the orangutan sanctuary in Bohorok and the elephants in Tangkahan.We can organize a fascinating Sumatra adventure for you with jungle trekking, orangutans spotting, and elephant ride.
- Day 1. Arrival in Medan with the flight.
- We will fetch you from the airport and transfer to Hotel Deli River for 2 overnight stays, nicely situated in a tropical garden with a beautiful view to the Deli River. Here you can rest after the long journey or swim or walk in the neighborhood.
- Day 2. Medan.
- Today is a city tour of Medan taking in the remaining original Dutch, English, Chinese and Malay architecture with our illustrated city guide book with architectural tours “Tours through historic Medan and its surroundings”. The rest of the day is your own program.
- Day 3. Medan – Samosir via Brastagi.
- An impressive route through the jungle to the mountain village of Brastagi in the Karo highlands. After a stop in Brastagi, we continue the route to Lake Toba via pineapple, clove and ginger plantations. Stops en route at the tribal kings’ house of the Simalungun Batak in Pematang Purba and the Sipisopiso falls. In the afternoon we arrive in Prapat at the famous Lake Toba from where we cross over to the island of Samosir. The car goes with us. Overnight stay on Samosir island in hotel Toledo of Tabo Cottage right on the lakeside.
- Day 4. Samosir – tour to Tomok, Ambarita, and Simanindo.
- On this beautiful island, you can visit the typical Toba Batak villages: Tomok with its kings’ tombs, Ambarita with its execution tables and in Simanindo you can see traditional Batak dances. Overnight stay on Samosir in hotel Toledo of Tabo Cottage right on the lakeside.
- Day 5. Samosir – Padang Sidempuan.
- In the early morning, you will cross the lake to Prapat from where you leave for Padang Sidempuan. Along the southern shores of Lake Toba with its lovely ricefields and huge Batak kings’ graves, you travel through the Toba highlands. During the trip, you will pass hot sulfur springs at Sipoholon. From Tarutung, the center of the Protestant Batak church, you continue driving until Padang Sidempuan, a city in the middle of Mandailing land. Overnight stay in hotel Natama in Padang Sidempuan.
- Dag 6. Padang Sidempuan – Bukittinggi.
- The route to Bukittingi in the Minangkabau highlands brings you again right through the Bukit Barisan mountain ridge of Sumatra. It is an impressive tour in which you drive through a wall of a tropical rain forest. En route, you pass the equator in the place Bonjol. In the afternoon we arrive in the cool and pleasant town of Bukittingi. Overnight stay in hotel Denai or hotel Pusako in Bukittinggi.
- Day 7. Bukittinggi – excursions to Maninjau.
- Today you proceed to Maninjau via the silver town of Kota Gadang, on the other side of the Karbouwengat. For the sportive hiker, the one hour walk through the deep Karbouwengat to Kota Gadang is a must! (optional). From Kota Gadang you will be picked up by the car for departure to the mysterious lake Maninjau, descending to the lake via the road with forty-four curves. The lake is clean and still and excellent for swimming. In the afternoon you drive back to Bukittinggi. Overnight stay in hotel Denai or hotel Pusako in Bukittinggi.
- Day 8. Bukittinggi – city tour and excursions – Harau.
- In the morning there is a tour to the former Fort De Kock, situated on a strategic point on a high mountain. You then visit the market and the famous ‘Karbouwengat’ (Ngarai Sianok), the impressive canyon beside the city. Around noon you depart for the Minangkabau Palace in Pagaruyung where you will see various aspects of the matriarchal society of the Minangkabau. Our next destination is the Harau nature reserve, famous for its huge rock formations and delightful butterflies. Overnight stay in Iqbal Homestay or Ecolodge Harau in Harau.
- Day 9. Harau – Padang.
- Today you drive to Padang. En route, you pass Batusangkar where you will see historic rock inscriptions in Hindu-Indian Sanscrit language. Hereafter you continue to Padang via the beautiful Anai valley with the Anai waterfall. The harbor city of Padang on the Indian ocean is the economic center of West Sumatra. On arrival, there is a city tour of Padang. Overnight stay in Hotel Pangeran’s Beach in Padang.
- Day 10. Padang.
- Transfer to the airport to catch your flight to the next destination. End of your individual tour in Sumatra.
The price of the ten-day tour of North and West Sumatra (tour code SUMTJ 10) is, per person, for a group of:
- 2 to 3 persons US $ 850,- p.p.
- 4 to 6 persons US $ 700,- p.p.
- 7 to 10 persons US $ 600,- p.p.
- Single room supplement US $ 380,-
The price is inclusive of :
- overnight accommodation in good medium hotels based on twin share bedroom
- breakfast daily
- transport in comfortable air-conditioned minibus or minibus
- the driver, his meals and overnight accommodation costs
- ferry Parapat – Samosir vice versa
- excursions as mentioned in the program