Fifteen Day Tour Program North and West Sumatra
Tour code SUMTJ 15
- Day 1. Arrival in Medan with flight.
- We will pick you up at the airport. Overnight stay in Hotel Deli River situated just outside Medan in the middle of a tropical garden. Here you can rest after the long journey, relax and swim in the swimming pool overlooking the Deli River Valley.
- Day 2. Medan city tour – Bukit Lawang.
- In the morning there is a city tour of Medan taking in the remaining Dutch, English, Chinese and Malay architecture. After this you depart to Bohorok/Bukit Lawang, the orangutan rehabilitation center in Gunung Leuser nature reservation. 2 overnight stays in a on the banks of the beautiful Bohorok river.
- Day 3. Bukit Lawang – own program.
- In this impressive nature reserve, you can see the orangutans in their natural environment. In
this impressive nature reserve, you can see the orangutans their natural environment. In order to see Sumatran wildlife
such as the Orang Utans, Siamang (black-furred gibbon), Thomas Leaf Monkeys, long tail Macaque and varieties of Sumatran birds,
you will make an easy jungletrek of 3 hours with an experienced local guide through the impressive tropical primary rainforest.
Trekkers must be fit and have suitable large profile shoes. Overnight stay in a hotel on the banks of the beautiful Bohorok river.
- Day 4. Bukit Lawang – Brastagi via Medan.
- An impressive route through the jungle to the mountain village of Brastagi in the Karo highlands. In the afternoon you will arrive at the cool mountain resort of Brastagi. Here you can view two active volcanoes, the Sibayak, and the Sinabung. Overnight stay in hotel Sinabung or Mikie Holiday Resort of Grand Mutiara in Brastagi.
- Day 5. Brastagi – Samosir.
- After breakfast leave for Prapat at the famous Lake Toba. On the way stops at the Sipiso Piso waterfall, at the longhouse of King Purba and at pineapple-, coffee- and ginger plantations. In the afternoon you arrive in Prapat at Lake Toba. 3 overnight stays in hotel Toledo Inn or Tabo Cottages on Samosir island. Your room has a beautiful view directly on the lakeside.
- Day 6. Samosir – tour to Tomok, Ambarita, and Simanindo.
- On this magnificent island, you can visit the typical Toba Batak villages: Tomok with its kings’ tombs, Ambarita with its megalith execution tables and in Simanindo you can see traditional Batak dances.
- Day 7. Samosir – own program.
- You might take beautiful walks over the island or swim in the lake. In the evening you can enjoy a performance of the Toba singers in a local café. (optional)
- Day 8. Samosir – Padang Sidempuan.
- In the early morning you will cross the lake to Prapat from where you leave for Padang Sidempuan. Along the southern shores of lake Toba with its lovely ricefields and huge Batak royal tombs you travel through the Toba highlands. During the trip you will pass hot sulphur springs at Sipoholon. From Tarutung, the center of the Protestant Batak church, you continue driving to Padang Sidempuan, in the middle of the land of the Mandailing. Overnight stay in hotel Mega Permata of Hotel Natama in Padang Sidempuan.
- Day 9. Padang Sidempuan – Bukittinggi.
- The route to Bukittingi in the Minangkabau highlands brings you again right through the Bukit Barisan mountainical ridge of Sumatra. It is an impressive tour in which you drive through a wall of tropical rain forest to West Sumatra. En route you pass the equator in the place Bonjol. In the afternoon we arrive in the cool and pleasant town of Bukittingi. 2 overnight stays in hotel Denai or hotel Pusako or hotel the Hills in Bukittinggi.
- Day 10. Bukittinggi – city tour and own program.
- In the morning you can make a tour in Bukittinggi to the former Fort De Kock, situated on a strategic point on the highest point of town. You then visit the market and the famous ‘Karbouwengat’ (Ngarai Sianok), the impressive canyon beside the city.
- Day 11. Bukittinggi – excursion to Lake Maninjau.
- Today you make and excursion to Maninjau via the silver town of Kota Gadang on the other side of the ‘Karbouwengat’. For the sportive hiker the one hour walk through the deep ‘Karbouwengat’ to Kota Gadang is suggested. (optional). From Kota Gadang you will be picked up by the car and departure to the mysterious lake Maninjau, descending to the lake via the road with forty four curves, 2 overnight stays in Hotel Nuansa Maninjau on the mountain in a fine hotel overlooking the lake.
- Day 12. Lake Maninjau – own program.
- Car and driver are at your disposal. You can make beautiful trips around the lake.
- Day 13. Maninjau – Harau.
- From Maninjau you drive this day through the beautiful Minangkabau lands to the Harau nature reserve. Harau is famous for its huge rock formations and delightful butterflies. Overnight stay in Iqbal Homestay in Harau.
- Day 14. Harau – Padang.
- In the morning you depart for the Minangkabau Palace in Pagaruyung. In this traditional Minangkabau architecture palace you will see various aspects of the matriarchal society of the Minangkabau. En route you pass Batusangkar with historic rock inscriptions in Hindu-Indian Sanscrit language. Hereafter you go to Padang via the beautiful Anai valley with the Anai waterfall. Overnight stay in Hotel Pangeran’s Beach or comparable hotel in Padang.
- Day 15. Padang.
- Transfer to airport for the flight to your next destination. End of your individual tour through North- and West Sumatra.
- 2 to 3 persons is US $ 1275,- p.p.
- 4 to 6 persons US $ 990,- p.p.
- 7 to 10 persons US $ 890,- p.p.
- Single room supplement US $ 500,-
The price is inclusive of :
- overnight accommodation in good medium class hotels in twin share bedroom + breakfast
- transport in airconditioned car + fuel
- the driver, his meals and overnight accommodation costs
- ferry Prapat – Samosir and vice versa
- permit and local guide to see the Orang Utans in Bukit Lawang