Fifteen Day North and West Sumatra Tour Program
Tour code SUMTJ 15
- Day 1. Arrival into Medan
On your arrival into Medan, your private driver will transfer you from Kualanamu airport to your accommodation Hotel Deli River is located along the Deli River on Medan’s city outskirts (12kms). It is here where you can relax by the infinity pool, take a historical city tour (depending on your arrival time), enjoy the Indonesian and fusion-cuisine options in their open-aired restaurant set amidst a lush tropical garden – or all of the mentioned – making it the perfect place to begin your Sumatran jungle adventure.
- Day 2. Medan city tour – Bukit Lawang.
In the morning there is a city tour of Medan taking in the remaining Dutch, English, Chinese and Malay architecture. After this you depart to the orangutan rehabilitation center in Bukit Lawang bordering the Mo
unt Leuser National Park. Once you arrive in Bukit Lawang, our driver will introduce you to the experienced local guide. Overnight stay in an Eco lodge located on the banks of the Bohorok river.
- Day 3. Bukit Lawang Jungle Trek and Wildlife Encounters
- In this impressive nature reserve, you can see the orangutans in their natural environment. In order to encounter Sumatran wildlife such as the Orang Utans, Siamang (black-furred gibbon), Thomas Leaf Monkeys, long tail Macaques and varieties of Sumatran birds including the rhinoceros hornbill, the experienced local guide will take you on an unforgettable and easy jungle trek of around 3 hours through the impressive tropical primary rainforest inside the Mount Leuser National Park.
Trekkers must be fit and have suitable trail shoes with good traction. Overnight stay in a hotel on the banks of the beautiful Bohorok river.
- Day 4. Bukit Lawang – Berastagi
- In the morning depart from Bukit Lawang via a scenic route through the jungle to the charming mountain town of Brastagi in the Karo highlands, where you can view two active volcanoes, the Sibayak, and the Sinabung. In Berastagi you can explore the Berastagi fruits market, enjoy the fresh produce and check out the local souvenirs. Remember to enjoy the delicious mountain cuisine and the Karo Arabica coffees at some of the cosy coffeeshops.
- Overnight stay in a comfortable and spacious hotel with sweeping views of the Karo highlands.
- Day 5. Brastagi – Samosir.
- After breakfast leave for Parapat at the famous Lake Toba. On the way you will stop at the awesome Sipiso-Piso waterfall, the longhouse of King Purba and the pineapple, coffee, and ginger plantations. In the afternoon you arrive in Prapat at Lake Toba.
- 3 overnight stays in a charming hotel with a serene view of Lake Toba on Samosir island.
- Day 6. Samosir – tour to Tomok, Ambarita, and Simanindo.
- On this magnificent island, you can visit the traditional Toba Batak villages such as Tomok with its kings’ tombs, Ambarita with its megalith execution tables and Simanindo where you can experience and take part in traditional Batak dances.
- Day 7. Samosir – own program.
- Samosir Island has a lot to offer! Take beautiful walks over the island, swim in the largest volcanic crater lake in the world, try out the local Batak delicacies, and explore the arts and crafts. In the evening you can enjoy a performance of the Toba singers in a local café (optional).
- Day 8. Samosir – Padang Sidempuan.
- In the early morning you will cross the lake to Prapat from where you leave for Padang Sidempuan. Along the southern shores of lake Toba with its lovely ricefields and huge Batak royal tombs you travel through the Toba highlands. During the trip you will pass hot sulphur springs at Sipoholon. From Tarutung, the center of the Protestant Batak church, you continue driving to Padang Sidempuan, in the middle of the land of the Mandailing. Overnight stay in hotel Mega Permata of Hotel Natama in Padang Sidempuan.
- Day 9. Padang Sidempuan – Bukittinggi.
- The route to Bukittingi in the Minangkabau highlands brings you again right through the Bukit Barisan mountain range of Sumatra. It is an impressive tour in which you drive through a wall of tropical rain forest to West Sumatra. En route you pass the equator in the place Bonjol. In the afternoon we arrive in the cool and pleasant town of Bukittingi. 2 overnight stays in hotel Denai or hotel Pusako or hotel the Hills in Bukittinggi.
- Day 10. Bukittinggi – city tour and own program.
- In the morning you can make a tour in Bukittinggi to the former Fort De Kock, situated on a strategic point on the highest point of town. You then visit the market and the famous ‘Karbouwengat’ (Ngarai Sianok), the impressive canyon beside the city.
- Day 11. Bukittinggi – excursion to Lake Maninjau.
- Today you make and excursion to Maninjau via the silver town of Kota Gadang on the other side of the ‘Karbouwengat’. For the sportive hiker the one hour walk through the deep ‘Karbouwengat’ to Kota Gadang is suggested. (optional). From Kota Gadang you will be picked up by the car and departure to the mysterious lake Maninjau, descending to the lake via the road with forty four curves, 2 overnight stays in Hotel Nuansa Maninjau on the mountain in a fine hotel overlooking the lake.
- Day 12. Lake Maninjau – own program.
- Car and driver are at your disposal. You can make beautiful trips around the lake.
- Day 13. Maninjau – Harau.
- From Maninjau you drive this day through the beautiful Minangkabau lands to the Harau nature reserve. Harau is famous for its huge rock formations and delightful butterflies. Overnight stay in Iqbal Homestay in Harau.
- Day 14. Harau – Padang.
- In the morning you depart for the Minangkabau Palace in Pagaruyung. In this traditional Minangkabau architecture palace you will see various aspects of the matriarchal society of the Minangkabau. En route you pass Batusangkar with historic rock inscriptions in Hindu-Indian Sanscrit language. Hereafter you go to Padang via the beautiful Anai valley with the Anai waterfall. Overnight stay in Hotel Pangeran’s Beach or comparable hotel in Padang.
- Day 15. Padang.
- Transfer to airport for the flight to your next destination. End of your individual tour through North- and West Sumatra.
- 2 to 3 persons is US $ 1275,- p.p.
- 4 to 6 persons US $ 990,- p.p.
- 7 to 10 persons US $ 890,- p.p.
- Single room supplement US $ 500,-
The price includes:
- overnight accommodation in good medium class hotels in twin share bedroom + breakfast
- transport in airconditioned car + fuel
- the driver, his meals and overnight accommodation costs
- ferry Prapat – Samosir and vice versa
- permit and local guide to see the Orang Utans in Bukit Lawang